Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Landed on two feet

Phew.  Luggage breezed through El Al security and the really nice ticket agent even waived the $300 overage fees.  Indi was successfully sedated and stuffed into her cage for the 10 hour flight and was only slightly pissed as she rolled up on the conveyer belt in Tel Aviv.  I was thrilled to see Lironne's glowing face on the other side of customs and thankfully all of my luggage fit into her car and she was willing to share the haul up 45 stairs. 

I knew it.  As soon as I landed into that apartment, the weight would be lifted off my shoulders and indeed it was.  I landed right in the heart of Tel Aviv and would begin the transformation from suburbanite into a big city girl.  Day one I met with my new employer and got the run down on what my responsibilities will be.  Everyone was super friendly, welcoming, and patient with my broken Hebrew.  I'll officially start Sunday the 11th of September.  The jet lag didn't hit as bad as the odors of Tel Aviv.  Between the street cats, feces and urine, garbage dumpsters, and sweat I remember that I have come a long way from the immaculately kept green streets of Highland Park.  Each day (multiple times a day) I take Indi to the Mediterranean Sea to play in the sand.  And she too is training her olfactory system to desensitize to the potent odors of Tel Aviv.  I feel strangely at home with local friends to call and a familiarity of the language and geography.  I'm here 3 days and can already taste the joy of a Mediterranean winter.  Each night I sit on my balcony with a glass of wine and my dog observing my new scenery: cats on rooftops, the shuk, people dining, scooters, bikes, and buses galore.  I made it.  I landed on two feet.  Now let the fun begin.  Off to a rooftop party...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment