Monday, September 12, 2011

Assimilation

Though it's not totally true, I can honestly say that I think I know what it feels like to be an immigrant to a country.  And yes, it is cheating since I am an educated American English speaking professional in a country where English is practically a 2nd language.  Regardless, each day I understand more and more of the words spoken around me yet need a translator to accurately complete paperwork.

The discussion in one of my meetings at work today, "Dilemmas of new immigrants."  How a propos.  There were no powerpoint presentation or handouts just a group of psychologists connecting on a personal level and sharing ideas.  The group consisted of 2 or 3 Argentinians, 1 Uruguayian, an Israeli, Brazilian, an American/Israeli blends, and me.  I understood over 50% of the details and most of the concepts spoken yet spoke in English since all but 1 understood me perfectly.  In the first week on the job I see that psychologists working for the clinic here are extremely kind and supportive of one another.  People go out of there way each day to introduce themselves to me and ask if I need anything.  Meetings often start with affectionate greetings and inquiries about one another's families and personal lives.  Loose guidelines are given to us as far as placements and hours and otherwise there seems to be quite a bit of professional freedom allowed.  I will go to my 2 schools this week and try to envision the work that I will be doing there.  People seem to be excited about my certification in Animal Assisted Therapy and suggest that I supervise a student who is studying in this field.  It's too bad Indi isn't better suited for the work since dogs are allowed on public buses here (as long as they wear a muzzle).  Perhaps, I'll give it another try now that we're living a different lifestyle and see if we can put her to work.             

Overall, in my first week I have started a job, opened a bank and cell phone account, unpacked, and found a vet.  Next up is to find a yoga studio and Ulpan. 

Thing missed:  curbside recycling (recycling in general), clean streets,  grass for my dog, reasonably priced everything

Things not missed: sticky wax on fruit, driving, junk mail, the stress of north shore school district 112    

No comments:

Post a Comment