Sunday, September 18, 2011

Habit Forming

So they say that it takes 21-28 days to form habits; one more week and I'm there.  Day 14 in Israel.  Really?  I already have my cell phone, bank account, bus card, apartment, dog park, bus line, oh and a job.  My sentence structure is getting a bit more complete instead of the fragments that I arrived with though I'm still far from totally fluent.  I realized that I've overcome some of the anxiety in speaking that I suffered from the first year that I lived here in 1998 but am more than willing to use my English for convenience.  The more confidence I show, the more willing people are to engage in Hebrew conversations with me. 

Working for the ministry of health in Israel is far from north shore district 112.  Every psychologist that I've met has been so warm and helpful showing tremendous patience and support for my Hebrew.  I'm pleasantly surprised when I communicate in Hebrew and people not only understand my message but encourage my progress.  The structure of working here is like going out for a family style meal.  Offerings of coffee precede any professional conversations and genuine freedom and flexibility are permitted.  Literally, I've been given the amount of hours that I'm employed, my placements, and a supervisor but otherwise I'm free to make all of my own decisions.  I should add the disclaimer that we are still in the initial stages of educational planning for the year and the more intense work begins in October.  In the meantime, I am enjoying the relaxed pace and the hour bus commute with wi-fi. 

I feel like the topic of habit forming wouldn't be complete without writing about city living in Israel.  This will be the hardest part for me to adjust to.  Despite the fact that I am living in a $2000 apartment (all inclusive), we regularly sweep up plaster, tolerate the odor of urine, walk by garbage and bums to enter into the building, live in tight quarters, fill our mini fridge with food only for 1-2 days, wash dishes by hand, and cook with a traveling stove top and toaster oven.  I've poured sour milk from two different cartons of milk purchased within 24 hours and drink instant coffee.  We have remote controlled air conditioning units and a balcony to help us regulate the immense sweat incurred throughout the day.  My legs carry me all over town with my dog and up and down 3 flights of stairs multiple times a day (I've got to believe my pants will soon reflect this!).

So my hour bus ride is almost up.  Signing off for now.

   






 

No comments:

Post a Comment