Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I guess the fact that I haven't posted since September is indicative of how full my life has become here in the Holyland.  So much happens each day and as I sit here playing hookie from work, I finally have a moment to catch up.

Back in September when I returned from a month visit in Chicago, I instinctually knew that in order to sustain myself long-term in this country I needed to re-arrange a few pieces of the puzzle.  Since my status as a school psychologist was demoted down to an intern level and with salaries in the public sector being as depressed as they are, I knew I needed to supplement my income.  Before I had a chance to put much effort into it, a fellow ex-pat (Jamie), began to forward me her overflow of private English students.  Within a month's time, I saw that private English tutoring was a viable way to stay afloat.  However, since most of my students are school-aged and the prime tutoring hours are from 3-6pm, I found myself spending way too much time on the bus running around to all of my lessons.

I found myself busier than ever with the addition of a handful of private students and my own Hebrew lessons twice a week.  Still maintaining my caseload as a psychologist at three schools, practicing yoga, and dating- I quickly became fatigued.  Not to mention the brief security crisis in Israel involving rockets from Gaza being launched throughout the country (including the Tel Aviv area).  This is a blog entry of its own.  

Analyzing time and money factors brought me to the realization that the only way to maintain my schedule would be to buy a car.  So yeah....cars in Israel are taxed at 100% and are outrageously expensive.  The gas to fuel them, also ridiculous.  I spent a few weeks discussing whether I really wanted the responsibility of car ownership in this country, searching for second hand vehicles, making phone calls, and taking test rides.  Simultaneously, I was running around the country like a chicken with my head cut off transfering my foreign driver's license.  Not like the good ol' DMV where everything is under one roof, Israel decides to make it a 9 step process.  Yes 9 steps.  Including an eye exam at one location, a visit to the doctor, a stamp on a piece of paper at another location, 2 visits to the post office, driving lessons, and a 10- minute rode test at yet another location.  After all was said and done, I finally found Georgia, my 2001 Diahtsu Sirion, and it was an instant love connection.  The previous owner and I wrapped up the deal and set up insurance and the paperwork in 2 days.  

That was at the beginning of December and I haven't looked back.  I cannot describe the appreciation I feel each day knowing that all I needed to do is ride an elevator down 3 stories and there she is waiting for me in my parking spot.  Since then, I freed up a significant amount of time and energy that was being consumed by Israel's public transportation system.  I managed to earn recognition as a basic psychologist (step one of a multiple step process) and meet a special someone.  This topic will be continued......

 










No comments:

Post a Comment