Saturday, May 5, 2012

Home is where the heart is

Standing at the horizon of month 9, I'm afraid to say that life in the Holyland is starting to feel more like home.  Is it true that "home is where the heart is?"  Since childhood I've never been one to get homesick;  I loved having sleepovers and sleep away camp.  I embrace adventure.  And though I miss the ease, conveniences, and people back in America I am not homesick.  In fact, I am a bit worried about going back in August and being confused about where home is.  My house, job, car, family, friends all exist for me back in Chicago.  Is that home?  Is Israel?  I'm not sure.  I'm definitely still considered somewhat of an outsider here but I'm also not living my Chicago routine anymore.  

Luckily I've been blessed to have a handful of great friends by my side to ease the culture shock of immigrating to a new country.  Soon enough I will hold Israeli citizenship and join the many ex-pats who likely asked themselves similar questions of Identity.  Truthfully, becoming Israeli scared me a lot more until I watched friends go through the process and realized that as a Jew, it is a fortunate opportunity.  I am not the sort of Zionist that believes all Jews should return to live in this country because surviving here can require finding internal resources that is just not for everyone.  As I recently explained to a newly immigrated and crying 15- year old British student and her mother:  "Sometimes Israel kicks your ass.  Once a week I wear my Wonder Woman t-shirt to remind me that I can take the beating.  I can prevail.  I chose to be here and I will stay until I decide it's time to leave."  That earned me a chuckle.

Each of us has our immigration story.  Depending on a myriad of factors such as: financial standing, language skills, social network, and employment there is a huge range of assimilation success.  And in the process of assimilating some can get swept away by the emotional turbulence that accompanies us all.  It's hard and most will admit that, I think.  At the end of the day, I think it will all be worth it if I can look back and say "I learned the language.  I like my job.  I have good friends/family.  Mentally and physically I feel healthy and strong.  I have all that I need."  Wherever I am geographically when I reach this point, I think I 'll be home.  I guess the cliche is true.  Home IS where the heart is.              



       

No comments:

Post a Comment